Wind Screen Wipers
Primary Muscle Group: Abdominals, Obliques
Secondary Muscle Group: Back, Hip Flexors
Equipment Needed: None
The Benefits of Wind Screen Wipers
The wind screen wipers Exercise is one of the most difficult Ab exercises you can do but is also one of the most rewarding in terms of results! You can do a couple or variations of this exercise but we are going to explain the lying version here which is the easier but still advanced variation. Windshield wipers lying down will build the rotational core strength you need as a foundation.
Windscreen Wipers targets both you abdominal 6 pack and your oblique’s making it the perfect exercise for anyone wanting to improve the appearance of their ‘Six Pack’ and their core strength. Windscreen wipers make a great addition to any ab workout and can be done anywhere without any equipment making them a challenging, yet convenient exercise that will guarantee you fantastic results.
If you are looking for new and exciting workouts you can download a Free Workout Plan or purchase one of our Expert Workout Plans that comes with access to your own fitness advisor for the duration.
The Risks of doing Wind Screen Wipers
Before doing the wind screen wipers exercise you should make sure you have warmed up because this exercise involves twisting the back in order to get the full range of motion. To avoid any excess strain on the back you should also keep your back flat against the floor and your head fixed facing upwards.
How To Do Wind Screen Wipers
1. Lie on your back on the floor and raise your legs 90 degrees.
2. Spread your arms straight out to your sides for support.
3. Rotate your legs to one side, stopping short of touching the floor.
4. Rotate to the other side. As you improve, bring your arms closer in to your body so they offer less stability.
For Perfect Technique
1. Start the movement slowly because you are twisting your back you could pull a muscle or hurt your back. Allow your body to warm up properly first.
2. Keep your and back straight with your abdominal muscles switched on and keep your back flat on the floor.
3. Your torso should face the direction of the foot your are reaching down towards.
Once you have mastered the Windscreen Wipers Ab Exercise you can try alternative exercises that target similar muscle groups such as;
How To Do Medicine Ball Russian Twists
1. Sit with knees bent and feet flat on the floor, holding medicine ball to your chest.
2. Lean back slightly at a 45-degree angle to the floor and engaging your core.
3. Keep feet flexed with heels lightly touching the floor.
4. Rotate to the right, keeping the ball at your chest, and twist from your low back.
5. Return to the starting position, then rotate to the left.
How To Do Mountain Climbers
1. Drop into a top press-up position, supporting your weight on your hands and toes, with your arms straight and your legs extended.
2. Keeping your core braced and your shoulders, hips and feet in a straight line throughout, bring one knee towards your chest, then return it to the starting position.
3. Repeat the movement with your other leg, then continue alternating legs throughout.