Pec Deck Machine
Primary Muscle Group: Pectorals
Secondary Muscle Group: Deltoids
Equipment Needed: Pec Deck Machine
The Benefits of Pec Deck Machine
The Pec Deck Machine Exercise is ideal for increasing the chest muscle mass by targeting the pectoralis muscles. You have two sets of pectoral muscles on each side of the front of your chest: the pectoralis major and the pectoralis minor. This exercise primarily benefits the pectoralis major—the larger of the two muscles that are responsible for movement at the shoulder joint.
This exercise is particularly helpful if you are new to training these muscles. The Pec Deck Machine Exercise is performed fully seated and supported by a back pad so it is easy to practice good posture and form while using the machine. Additionally, the seated position helps you put your full effort into the chest muscles.
If you are looking for other exercises that are the best for building muscle or wanting to lose body fat then you should check our Free Workout Plan or our Workout Plans With Coaching for professionally designed workout plans that have been proven to get results.
The Risks of doing Pec Deck Machine
Some exercisers arch their backs during this exercise. This can cause injury to the lower back. Maintain good posture during both the opening and closing phases of this exercise by sitting tall with your back maintaining contact with the pad behind you.
So before giving Peck Deck Machine Exercise a go, here's exactly how to do them without risking pain or injury.
How To Do Pec Deck Machine
1. The pec deck is a great machine for isolating the chest. Before you start, adjust the seat height so that the bottom of the arm pads are about level with your chest when you're sitting on the machine.
2. Select the weight you want to use on the stack.
3. Sit on the machine, grasp the handles and/or place your forearms on the padding. Take the weight off the stack slightly. This is the starting position for the exercise.
4. Keeping your body fixed, slowly bring the forearm pads or handles together. Don't let them touch.
5. Squeeze the chest muscles for a count of 1-3, then slowly lower back to the starting position.
For Perfect Technique
The Pec Dec Machine is a great machine for targeting the pectorals, but you need to use strict technique and focus on stretch and contraction to get the most out of it. Don't let the stack drop during the set.
Don't touch the pads or handles in the centre, and keep your body fixed.
Don't bring your torso forward as you squeeze the weight up.
Pause at the top of the exercise (pads in) for a count of 1-3, squeezing the chest for maximum intensity.
Your upper arms or elbows should be positioned parallel to the floor.
Once you have mastered the Pec Deck Exercise you can try alternative exercises that target similar muscle groups such as;
How To Do the Incline Dumbbell Press
1. Firstly, set the bench at a 45-degree angle.
2. Pick up the dumbbells off the floor using a neutral grip (palms facing in). Position the ends of the dumbbells in your hip crease, and sit down on the bench.
3. To get into position, lay back and keep the weights close to your chest. Once you are in position, take a deep breath, and press the dumbbells to lockout at the top.
4. Slowly lower the dumbbells under control as far as comfortably possible (the handles should be about level with your chest).
5. Contract the chest and push the dumbbells back up to the starting position.
How To Do the Flat Dumbbell Chest Press
1. Pick up the dumbbells off the floor using a neutral grip (palms facing in). Position the ends of the dumbbells in your hip crease, and sit down on the bench.
2. To get into position, lay back and keep the weights close to your chest. Once you are in position, take a deep breath, and press the dumbbells to lockout at the top.
3. Slowly lower the dumbbells under control as far as comfortably possible (the handles should be about level with your chest).
4. Contract the chest and push the dumbbells back up to the starting position.
5. Repeat for the desired number of repetitions.