Leg Press Calf Raise
Primary Muscle Group: Calves
Secondary Muscle Group: n/a
Equipment Needed: Leg Press Machine, Free Weights
The Benefits of Leg Press Calf Raise
The leg press calf raise is a variation of the machine calf raise and an exercise used to build the muscles of the calves.
The calves can be a really stubborn muscle group, so it’s important to target them with lots of different angles and a with a high training frequency.
This exercise can be incorporated into your leg days or full body days.
If you are looking for new and exciting workouts you can download a Free Workout Plan or purchase one of our Workout Plans that comes with access to your own fitness advisor for the duration.
The Risks of doing Leg Press Calf Raise
Be extremely careful when re-positioning the feet at the base of the platform. If the safeties are not in place and you lose control of the platform, this could result in very serious injury.
Keep the repetitions slow and controlled. Limit momentum and pause at the top to emphasize the contraction. If you experience any sort of pain or pressure in the back of the knee joint, keep a slight bend in the knee and avoid complete lockout.
How To Do Leg Press Calf Raise
1. Load the machine with the desired weight and take a seat.
2. Sit down and position your feet on the sled with a shoulder width stance.
3. Take a deep breath, extend your legs, but keep the safeties locked (if possible).
4. Position your feet at the base of the platform and allow the heels to hang off.
5. Lower the heels by dorsiflexing the ankles until the calves are fully stretched.
6. Drive the weight back to the starting position by extending the ankles and flexing the calves.
7. Repeat for the desired number of repetitions.
For Perfect Technique
• Limit depth of the heels if you feel any sort of stretch through the bottom of the foot during the exercise.
• Try to move through the ball of the foot rather than the base of the toes.
Once you have mastered the Leg Press Calf Raise Exercise you can try alternative exercises that target similar muscle groups such as;
How To Do Seated Calf Rasies
1. Take a seat on the machine and place the balls of your feet on the platform with your toes pointed forward - your heels will naturally hang off. Position the base of quads under the knee pad and allow your hands to rest on top.
2. Extend your ankles and release the safety bar.
3. Lower the heels by dorsiflexing the ankles until the calves are fully stretched.
4. Extend the ankles and exhale as you flex the calves.
5. Repeat for the assigned number of repetitions.
How To A Donkey Calf Raise
1. Place an aerobic step or weight plate on the floor a couple of feet behind a railing or other sturdy, waist-high object.
2. Holding the railing with both hands, fold forward at your hip joints, and place the balls of your feet on the far edge of the step.
3. Slowly lower your heels as far as possible toward the floor, pausing for a one-count in the stretched position.
4. Lift your heels as high as possible, squeezing your calves at the top of the move, and hold for a one-count.
5. Take a full three-count to lower your heels to the floor, and repeat.