Lateral Cable Raise
Primary Muscle Group: Deltoids
Secondary Muscle Group: Trapezius
Equipment Needed: Cable Machine
The Benefits of Lateral Cable Raise
Cable Lateral Raise is a great isolation exercise that effectively targets the medial head of the shoulder.
With the use of the cable there is more continuous tension on the shoulder compared to a dumbbell.
Cable Lateral Raise is best used as a finisher in a shoulder workout preferably after a heavy pressing exercise.
You get better result by using light weight so you can focus on perfect form and technique.
If you are looking for new and exciting workouts you can download a Free Workout Plan or purchase one of our Workout Plans that comes with access to your own fitness advisor for the duration.
The Risks of doing Lateral Cable Raise
With any cable machine exercise it’s really important that you pay attention to the weight pin. You should always make sure it is fixed into position as this could lead to a potential hazard to yourself and other people around you.
How To Do Lateral Cable Raise
1. Stand beside a cable machine. Assume a shoulder width stance; tighten your core and keep a flat back all throughout the movement.
2. Grab the handle of a pulley cable and raise it sideways. Maintain a slight bend in your elbows and bring the handle up to shoulder level.
3. Hold the position for a second at the top.
4. Resist the weight on the way back to starting position.
5. Once you have done the targeted number of reps on one side, switch and work the other shoulder.
6. Perform the exact same number of reps on the other shoulder.
For Perfect Technique
1. As a unilateral exercise, Cable Lateral Raise will create shifting of forces as you bring the weight up to shoulder level.
2. Always keep your core tight, your upper body upright and stable. Never bend at the hips to try and use momentum.
3. Keep a slight bend in your working arm and never initiate the pull with your biceps.
4. Contract your shoulders and use only the strength of the lateral head to raise the weight
Once you have mastered the Lateral Cable Raise exercise you can try alternative exercises that target similar muscle groups such as;
How To Do Plate Front Raises
1. Start by standing upright and your back straight with your arms slightly bent.
2. Keeping your back straight and your elbows slightly bent, exhale as you raise the plate out in front of you in an arcing motion until your arms are parallel with the floor.
3. Hold for a second at the top of the movement.
4. Inhale as you lower the plate in a controlled manner to the starting position.
How To Do Dumbbell Lateral Raises
1. Firstly, grab a set of dumbbells and stand straight up with the dumbbells at your sides.
2. Your palms should be facing your body. You should be holding the dumbbells slightly off your body, as this keeps the tension on the side deltoids. This is your starting position for the exercise.
3. To execute, slowly raise the dumbbells up to around shoulder height. It's important that you do not let your wrists go above your elbows while raising the weight, as this will take the work off the side delts and put it on the front delts.
4. Pause at the top of the movement, and then slowly lower the weight back to the starting position.
5. Do not let the dumbbells touch your body, and then raise them for the next rep.