EZ Bar Curl
Primary Muscle Group: Biceps
Secondary Muscle Group: Forearms
Equipment Needed: EZ Bar, Weight Plates
The Benefits of EZ Bar Curl
The EZ bar curl exercise targets the biceps and is performed standing upright. The EZ-bar makes for a more comfortable wrist position, while the angle helps to isolate the biceps and limit involvement of the shoulder muscles. The standing EZ bicep curl is an immensely popular exercise targeting the biceps. It is commonly performed for moderate to high reps as part of an upper body or arms-focused workout. Many gyms even have EZ-bars at fixed weights, allowing for easy weight changes.
The nature of the body positioning during this exercise removes the potential for other joints, such as your hips, knees, and low back, to assist in the movement.
Many lifters find the EZ-bar easier on the wrists, elbows, and shoulders than a straight bar.
Builds size and strength in biceps.
Easy to make more difficult by controlling tempo or adding pauses.
If you are looking for other exercises that are the best for building muscle or wanting to lose body fat then you should check our Free Workout Plan or our Workout Plans With Coaching for professionally designed workout plans that have been proven to get results.
The Risks of doing EZ Bar Curl
Like any other bicep exercise, make sure you warm up before you do it. The biceps are a small muscle and the EZ Biceps Curl really isolate your biceps so if you haven’t warmed up before a working set, you put yourself at risk of injury.
How To Do EZ Bar Curl
1. This exercise is a variation of the barbell curl, but using an EZ bar. Grasp an EZ bar at around shoulder width apart using a underhand grip (palms facing up).
2. Stand straight up, feet together (you may be more comfortable taking one foot back for stability), back straight, and with your arms fully extended. The bar should not be touching your body.
3. Keeping your eyes facing forwards, elbows tucked in at your sides, and your body completely still, slowly curl the bar up.
4. Squeeze your biceps hard at the top of the movement, and then slowly lower it back to the starting position.
For Perfect Technique
Use the EZ bar when you have had wrist injuries or if you feel pain in the wrists when doing barbell curls.
Do not swing back when you curl the bar up. This is cheating.
Keep your body fixed and elbows in at your sides throughout the movement.
Once you have mastered the EZ Bar Curl exercise you can try alternative exercises that target similar muscle groups such as;
How To Do Close Grip EZ Bar Bicep Curl
1. Stand holding an EZ-curl bar using a close supinated grip (hands closer than shoulder width apart and palms facing upward). Your elbows should be almost fully extended, and the bar should be resting against your thighs.
2. Keeping your elbows fixed to your sides, exhale as you curl the EZ-curl bar up toward your shoulders.
3. Hold for a count of two and squeeze your biceps.
4. Inhale as you lower the EZ-curl bar to the starting position.
5. Repeat for the prescribed number of repetitions.
How To Do Hammer Bicep Curls
1. Grip a pair of dumbbells with a neutral grip (palms facing each other) and hold the weights at your sides.
2. Keeping your torso stationary, flex at the elbow to raise the dumbbells towards your shoulders.
3. Stop just short of the dumbbell touching your shoulder. Hold at the top of the position for a moment.
4. Return the dumbbells to the starting position in a controlled manner to complete one rep.
5. You can also perform Alternating Hammer Curls by curling one arm at a time.