Decline Sit Up
Primary Muscle Group: Abdominals
Secondary Muscle Group: Obliques
Equipment Needed: Decline Sit Up Bench
The Benefits of Decline Sit Up
The Decline Sit Up is one of the best ways to develop the line that runs down the centre of your abs.
It will really work your abdominal muscles very hard and has been proven to build well balanced abdominals that most people work so hard for (when done correctly). When doing the Decline Sit up you need to adjust a sit-up bench to where it is on about a 30-degree Decline. This positioning causes your body to work harder, since you have to work against gravity and through a wider range of motion.
If you are looking for other exercises that are the best for building muscle or wanting to lose body fat then you should check our Free Workout Plan or our Workout Plans With Coaching for professionally designed workout plans that have been proven to get results.
The Risks of doing Decline Sit Up
Due to the downward angle of the bench, the moment arm of the motion becomes notably longer vs the standard crunch. This increases the unwanted pressure eon the lower spine. To avoid this, keep the movement slow and controlled and focus on the contraction when doing the Decline Situp.
So before giving Decline Sit Ups a go, here's exactly how to do them without risking pain or injury.
How To Do Decline Sit Up
1. Set the decline bench to an angle of between 30 and 45 degrees (the more than angle, the harder the situps will be).
2. Sit on the bench with your legs resting through the pads.
3. Cross your arms across your chest and lean back until your back almost touches the bench.
4. Raise yourself back up until your upper body is vertical, then lower again.
For Perfect Technique
• Don't go too far down or up. Your back should never touch the bench and you only need to pull up until your upper body is vertical.
• You can add a twist to work your oblique’s harder if you like.
• Hold a weight plate or dumbbell in your arms for added resistance and intensity.
Once you have mastered the Decline Sit Ups exercise you can try alternative exercises that target similar muscle groups such as;
How To Do Decline Russian Twists
1. Sit on the decline ab bench with both feet firmly secured under the foot pads with your hands clasped in front of your chest. Lean back slightly so that your abdominals are engaged. This is your starting position.
2. Inhale. Exhale. Twist your torso to the right as far as you can.
3. Untwist your torso to return to the starting position.
4. Exhale. Twist your torso to the left as far as you can.
5. Untwist your torso to return to the starting position. Continue alternating between right and left for the specified number of repetitions.
How To Do A Decline Crunch
1. Keeping your neck neutral and lower back pressed against the bench, exhale as you raise your head and shoulders off the bench by flexing your abdomen.
2. Hold for a count of two.
3. Inhale as you lower your head and shoulders back to the starting position and relax your abdomen.
4. Repeat for the prescribed number of repetitions.