Decline Russian Twists
Primary Muscle Group: Obliques
Secondary Muscle Group: Abdominals
Equipment Needed: Decline Sit Up Bench
The Benefits of Decline Russian Twists
Decline Russian Twists are a pretty simple but effective way to tone your abs, waist, and hips. It’s a popular exercise among athletes since it helps with twisting movements and allows you to quickly change direction & improve mobility.
Russian twists help build a solid core by contracting your abs to maintain the sit-up position, while activating your obliques to rotate your torso. Holding a dumbbell, med ball, or rope makes the move more challenging for experienced athletes.
Decline Russian Twists are also ideal for anyone looking to tone their midsection, get rid of love handles, and develop their all-important core strength, which helps with balance, posture, and movement. Plus, it’s easy to learn!
We have listed below exactly how to do the Decline Russian twist with a step by step guide along, hand drawn illustrations and a video demonstration.
If you are looking for other exercises that are the best for building muscle or wanting to lose body fat then you should check our Free Workout Plan or our Workout Plans With Coaching for professionally designed workout plans that have been proven to get results.
The Risks of doing Decline Russian Twists
The Decline Russian Twist Exercises can put a small amount of stress on the back during the twisting motion of the exercise. With this said, if you have any pre-existing back injuries you should be careful when performing this exercise and if you feel any discomfort, you should stop immediately. To help avoid injuries, you should warm up before doing a working set.
How To Do Decline Russian Twists
How To Do Decline Russian Twists
1. Sit on the decline ab bench with both feet firmly secured under the foot pads with your hands clasped in front of your chest. Lean back slightly so that your abdominals are engaged. This is your starting position.
2. Inhale. Exhale. Twist your torso to the right as far as you can.
3. Untwist your torso to return to the starting position.
4. Exhale. Twist your torso to the left as far as you can.
5. Untwist your torso to return to the starting position. Continue alternating between right and left for the specified number of repetitions.
For Perfect Technique
Breathe steadily and deeply. Exhale with each twist, and inhale to return to the centre.
As you twist, keep your arms parallel to the floor or reach down to tap the floor beside you.
Move slow and with control, making sure not to arch your back at any point in the move. Avoid allowing your legs to fully touch the ground at the end of the move to make the exercise more intense.
Engage your abdominal and back muscles throughout the exercise.
Maintain a straight spine, and avoid slouching or rounding your spine.
Allow your gaze to follow the movement of your hands.
Once you have mastered the Decline Russian Twist Ab Exercise you can try alternative exercises that target similar muscle groups such as;
How To Do Bodyweight Leg Pull Ins
1. Sit comfortably on the edge of that bench and use your hands to grip the bench for support.
2. Put your legs together & extend your legs out in front of you and off the ground.
3. Bring your knees in towards your chest and hold them as close as you can to your chest for a second.
4. Finally, extend your legs back down towards the floor to the starting position.
How To Do Ab Wheel Roll Outs
1. Start by kneeling on a yoga mat and grip the ab wheel handles.
2. Tighen your glutes and abs.
3. Keeping your back straight, slowly lean forward and roll the wheel forward until your arms are overhead and your torso is nearly parallel to the floor.
4. Roll the wheel back toward your knees to return to the starting position.