Close Grip EZ Bar Bicep Curl
Primary Muscle Group: Biceps
Secondary Muscle Group: Forearms
Equipment Needed: EZ Bar, Weighted Plates
The Benefits of Close Grip EZ Bar Bicep Curl
If your goal is to get bigger arms then Close Grip EZ Bar Bicep Curls should have a place in your arm day workout.
As with many other exercises, the effectiveness and efficiency of the bicep Curl motion can be altered by your hand positioning. Close Grip EZ Bar Bicep Curl is just one variant of a bicep curl.
With the narrow hand positioning of the close grip EZ Bar curls you will have your hands closer together, which results in increased muscle activity in the long head of the biceps. This will help to increase your biceps "Peak." A narrow grip may place more stress on the wrists and elbows than a shoulder-width grip, so begin with light weight and work your way up. If you're using an EZ bar, a narrow grip will have your hands turned slightly inward, due to the design of the equipment. This will help take stress off your wrists and elbows. A narrow grip may also more heavily recruit the forearm muscles than a wide grip.
If you are looking for new and exciting workouts you can download a Free Workout Plan or purchase one of our Workout Plans that comes with access to your own fitness advisor for the duration.
The Risks of doing Close Grip EZ Bar Bicep Curl
With your hands closer together than a standard bicep curl you may feel some discomfort in the wrists and elbows. If you do feel any pain you should limit the number of sets and build up slowly over a period of time and allow the body to adapt.
How To Do Close Grip EZ Bar Bicep Curl
1. Stand holding an EZ-curl bar using a close supinated grip (hands closer than shoulder width apart and palms facing upward). Your elbows should be almost fully extended, and the bar should be resting against your thighs.
2. Keeping your elbows fixed to your sides, exhale as you curl the EZ-curl bar up toward your shoulders.
3. Hold for a count of two and squeeze your biceps.
4. Inhale as you lower the EZ-curl bar to the starting position.
5. Repeat for the prescribed number of repetitions.
For Perfect Technique
Keep your elbows locked to your sides and your body still by keeping your abdominal muscles tight. Only your forearms should move.
Once you have mastered the Close Grip EZ Bar Bicep Curls you can try alternative exercises that target similar muscle groups such as;
How To Do Dumbbell Bicep Curls
1. Stand holding a dumbbell in each hand with your arms hanging by your sides.
2. Ensure your elbows are close to your torso and your palms facing forward.
3. Keeping your upper arms stationary, exhale as you curl the weights up to shoulder level while contracting your biceps.
4. Hold the weight at shoulder height for a brief pause, then inhale as you slowly lower back to the start position.
How To A Dumbbell Hammer Curl
1. Stand upright and grip two dumbbells at the side of the body with the arms straight and palms facing your torso.
2. Raise one dumbbell until the forearm is vertical and the thumb faces the shoulder. Hold the movement for one moment and squeeze the biceps.
3. Slowly lower the dumbbell to starting position and repeat with other arm.